gtag.js

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Fog Lifts


donkey tail plant
Seed Catalogs pile on the coffee table. 
Not throwing them out with the clutter purge, yet.
By this time of year I clone roses, clematis vines, 
and hydrangeas. Winter is seeds purchasing time. Start them in sunny
kitchen windows, then move gradually to the "greenhouse." 
Greenhouse doesn't have heat. Normally in Coastal California nights
don't freeze. Last couple, however; harsh dry winds and 
cold threatens to burn tender projects. Mild freeze turns chartreuse new
sprouts to red. Frost makes the cells turn to mush as if desiccated
then liquidated. The tingling feeling in fingers when exposed
to snow too long. 

Since the plan is in pen to sell and move I haven't traded seeds on
heirloom seed swap and garden web seed exchange. 
In the garage sit paper bags full of smaller brown parcels of seeds. 
An idea came to mind to plant them in my Mother's 
and sister's gardens in hopes they bloom
and produce seed for 2017 
when I plan to be settled in a new home. 
I'm downsizing from a huge high maintenance castle. 
I plan to rent for six months to a year.
Find the ideal cottage with a small yard. 
Everywhere I lived I changed an ugly plat or acreage into a stain glass church of flowers.
Come over before the smell of paradise disappears.
Will I stay here? Perhaps renting is a change that frees time.
No longer will I be weekend warrior.
Scrubbing the pool tile, painting ceilings or repairing plumbing. 
Did I tell you about the six foot glass panel shattering over the
pansies Sunday? I'm still picking up bits. 
Save Honey (Golden Retriever) from harm with tangled contraptions.

Will this give me the desire to fly? 
After living in suburbia and owning a ranch to give my children a great
life start maybe I will move to New York or back to London or Mumbai?

My necklace clasp hits cross and hair entwines. 
It's a sign.
Morning fog lifts. 
Time to pray for all.

Cells below fingernails have minuscule shards of glass.
Becoming a part of my spirit
It's not like sand in eye scratching.
It's that missing feeling when I think of my son at college.
Or when someone mentioned Lacrosse on Facebook.
No more running to High School games to work the stats.

But it's in my heart.
fog yosemite hike story
Fog before hiking Yosemite 2016 Caroline Gerardo

fog lifting yosemite
morning Yosemite snow and fog Caroline Gerardo

fog fence story
Chain link fence and morning sun

Caroline Gerardo Copyright 2/6/2016 
Empty Nest Thoughts


icon fog downsize

2 comments:

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

really like that first foggy shot :)

Caroline Gerardo said...

Thank you @Author R. Mac Wheeler